Saturday, November 3, 2012

We called him Paw

His name was Otis B. Anderson, he and his wife, Hastie Cora lee, were my maternal grandparents.  All the grandchildren call them Paw and Maw. Together they raised eight children.  Four sons: Otis Curtis (Curt), Charlie Patillo (Pill), Walter Hinton and Obie Lloyd (Mutt).  Four daughters: Annie Corinne, Theresa Cinderella, Sybil Jean (my mom) and Geraldine.  There was a fifth son, Lawson Henry, who died at age one.

Paw was a farmer for most of his life and he also ran his own small store with one gas pump.  My mom, myself and my brother, Carl, live with them for a short time while my dad was serving in the army.  I remember a time when he had a field of cotton to pick and being only 4 or 5 years old, I wanted to help.  Well, Maw got out an old pillow case and pinned a strip of cloth to it and off I went to pick cotton.  Needless to say, I didn’t pick a lot.  On another occasion, when I was a little older, I along with some cousins, followed behind Paw as he drove a horse drawn wagon loaded with sugar cane.  We picked up the stalks that fell off. He was taking the cane up the road to my great aunt Mae Cassidy’s where they had a cane mill to make syrup.

227834_1549216389780_841225_n

Paw and me in his store

I have very many memories of that store.  One was when I had a toothache or something and telling my mom that a chocolate drink from the store would make it better.  I don’t remember what the drink was called, but boy it sure was good.  I didn’t get one for my pain though.

We lost Maw in February 1969 and Paw followed her two years later in April 1971.  I was going through training in the air force when I received the news of Paw’s death.  It was a blow receiving the news that way.  Thanks to a caring commanding officer and a loan from the credit union, I made it home just in time for the funeral. 

Mom, if I happened to get anything wrong here or you have anything else to add, don’t hesitate to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment